Office Miss(ed) Manners 1

obviously, there are still people out there who still do not know that if there's someone in a company/office that you have to be nice with when trying to request for an appointment or to have a proposal accommodated, it's the SECRETARY or the ASSISTANT.

this i repeatedly realize everytime i encounter a pompous, seemingly know-it-all, arrogant person whether on the phone or up-close.

i am thankful to my mother, who has been an executive secretary (and great at it!) for as long as i can remember, for the gift of putting people in their rightful place with words as sharp as a samurai's sword, often one-liners. but i have added something special to make it my trademark: a tone so dry, it's dripping with sarcasm.

i know, i know. i'm bad.

but only if you are! let's make that clear, shall we?

case in point: this afternoon, i got a call from a lady who we shall call Ms. M:

Ms. M: Hello, good afternoon, Is Mr. F (my boss) in?

notice that she hasn't even introduced herself. a big no-no!

Me: And may I know who THIS is please?

Ms. M: Oh, this is Ms. M, Mr. Bean told me to call your office and look for Mr. F.

Me: I'm sorry mam, he's not in. Would you like to leave a message?

Ms. M: Okay, it's like this. I'm from XYZ Company, and Mr. Bean just told me to get in touch with Mr. F.

I'm already tapping my fingers here.

Me: Yes mam, do you have a proposal?

Ms. M: Yes...

Me: And what is your company profile mam? What is your proposal?

Ms. M: We're into insurance. What time is Mr. F coming back?

Me: I'm not sure mam. Would you like to leave a number so I can get back to you?

Ms. M: a bit of silence...No, it's okay, I'll just tell Mr. Bean, then we'll just go there together.

Me: I'll still have to set the appointment mam.

Ms. M: Oh, I thought Mr. Bean could just go there anytime.

blood rushing to my head

Me: dry and dripping... DRY AND DRIP-DRIP-DRIPPING...No mam, we still have schedules to follow, YOU KNOW.

Ms. Me: Oh, I didn't know that (oh you didn't, huh?). Okay, I'll just call again. (we'll see about that...)

Me: Okay. Bye.

I put the phone down before she could say anything else.


remember, be nice to the assistant!

posted by vina @ 6:40 PM           

6 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, June 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people just place too much importance in themselves don't they?

I hope I don't run into you on the other line, haha. :-D

 
At 1:02 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger Sharleen said...

i can just so relate to this post!

worse, if the caller is "hambog" and stupid!!! AAGGGHHH!!! if only i can just hang up on them!! *weeevil biatch*

 
At 10:50 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger vina said...

hi SNGLGUY! be afraaaaid, be very afraaaaaid...

hehe, kung di mo ako uunahan, i won't bite naman.

hi SHAR! oo nga, you have your own share of pesky callers...

 
At 8:34 PM, June 02, 2006, Blogger vina said...

hi ERIC! you're right! at international pa talaga ang clientele nila...

 
At 11:56 PM, June 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also hate it when people call (even at home) and don't introduce themselves first hand. As if I can recognize everybody's voices.

 
At 3:50 PM, June 05, 2006, Blogger vina said...

hi NICEHEART! thanks for visiting!

i know what you mean, but even if i do recognize the voice, i feign knowlege and still ask for the name, hehe. i won't give them the satisfaction of getting away with forgetting proper phone etiquette!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home