the search is on for the best pistachio ice cream/gelato

ever since i tasted this heavenly pistachio gelato in kowloon last year (near our hotel, Knutsford), i prrrrromised to myself that i would make pistachio my favorite ice cream/gelato flavor - of course, my problem is, i had to find the best tasting brand available in manila.

so far, i've already tried the ice cream versions of Fruits in Ice Cream (FIC), Selecta and Arce Dairy. of the three, Arce Dairy came out the winner - i can ALMOST taste the pistachio flavor, plus real nuts abound!


next on my list for tasting is Yellow Cab's gelato.

i am also setting my eyes (and preparing my wallet) for Ben & Jerry's ice cream, which costs P300.00 for just one freaking pint in rustan's. and, if that green colored gelato i saw in Amici di Don Bosco when we ate there last week is pistachio, i'd include that, too!

good luck to me!

posted by vina @ 3:29 PM           

6 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Sidney said...

If I am not mistaken the Fathers in Don Bosco sell "Ice Cream machines". Maybe you could start making your own pistachio ice cream!

 
At 4:02 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger j said...

I've tried Selecta and Arce Dairy, too. Pero all were blah after I got hold of Haagen Dazs. Grabe sarap! Been eating this the whole summer so far. Lahat ng flavors! Ice cream will never be the same to me. Ha ha. Masakit nga lang sa bulsa.
Also, the owner of Arce used to own Selecta too. Probably the reason why the two brands almost taste the same.

 
At 8:02 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger carlosceldran said...

Locally. Arce Pistachio is the only game in town. Unless Fruits in Ice Cream starts making it...

I don't know if you remember Coney Island Ice Cream. They had a great one.

 
At 11:05 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger vina said...

eeeeeeh tito sidney, i don't even know how to cook that well, but who knows? maybe ice cream making is my calling!

hi jane, i'll try haagen dazs' pistachio. so far, i only like their strawberry (though local brand FIC can outrank them on this one, flavor and price wise...)

hello "kuya" carlos! FIC does have pistachio flavor na rin, and i tasted it already. i hope they improve it, though. oooooh, i do remember coney island! i don't think i ever tasted their pistachio ice cream, though. but i do miss their bubble gum flavor (meron nga baaaa?) and their huuuuge cotton candy!

 
At 9:27 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Toni said...

In Amici de Don Bosco, they have vanilla gelato with pistachio nuts. Sarap.

The best pistachio gelato I've had was in Pazzo. Power Plant, Rockwell. :)

 
At 10:40 AM, May 12, 2006, Blogger vina said...

hi tons. i think i tasted that vanilla gelato already when i went there last saturday evening. sarap nga. they have pistachio gelato mismo, but maaga daw nauubos palagi yun.

i'll try Pazzo's. maybe tomorrow!

thanks for supporting me on my quest. hehe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home